Black Lives Matter
Black lives matter. We must keep saying it, and it has to drive action in the world to ensure it is respected and true everywhere.
The news this past few weeks has been filled with police violence and violence perpetrated by white people against Black folks. It is not new by any means, but part of a long, violent, and racist history in America.
In a racist society it is not enough to be non-racist, we must be anti-racist. – Angela Davis
Black lives matter. We must keep saying it, and it has to drive action in the world to ensure it is respected and true everywhere. Especially by white folks. There is no neutrality in this – white silence is complict in violence against Black bodies.
This is a call-in to my fellow white folks – if you haven't already, it is far past the time to begin to educate yourself and educate others; to give money to Black folks and organisations supporting them and seeking justice for them; to, yes, sign petitions, make phone calls demanding justice, and if you can, ultimately put your body on the line to protect Black folks. Our whiteness shields us from so much, and we must use that privilege to further justice. We must dismantle the racist structures and challenge the racist ideas reinforcing them.
If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. – Desmond Tutu
Listen to Black folks, read Black folks, amplify Black folks, pay Black folks, believe Black folks, follow Black folks.
White supremacy must come to an end, and we must end it.
And because it has to keep being said: Black lives matter.
This collection of resources is only a small fraction of what is out there. Consider this a starting point. Seek out all kinds of media by Black folks and pay them.
- 75 Things White People Can Do for Racial Justice
- Resources for Talking About Race, Racism and Racilaized Violence with Kids
- The Case for Reparations
- Structural Racism in America (Collection)
- The Dirty Truth About White Liberal Racism
- We're Still Living and Dying in the Slaveholders' Republic
- How to Be a Better White Person in 2020
- This Is on Us: 7 Things for White People to Commit to Right Now to Protect Black Lives from the Police
- The Empathy Crisis of White America
- How to Be an Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi
- Stamped From the Beginning by Ibram X. Kendi
- The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander
- So You Want to Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo
- The Color of Law by Richard Rothstein
- The Fire Next Time by James Baldwin
- Why I'm No Longer Talking to White People About Race by Reni Eddo-Lodge
- When They Call You a Terrorist by Patrisse Khan-Cullors & Asha Bandele